At Fistula Foundation, our people are our greatest resource.
About Fistula Foundation
We are Fistula Foundation, an international nonprofit that provides surgeries to women in Africa and Asia with obstetric fistula, a devastating childbirth injury. Telling the stories of the women we serve—so that donors can learn about the condition and join our community of supporters—is crucial to our ability to provide this life-transforming treatment.
About the film
This is an exciting, career-enhancing opportunity for a documentary filmmaker seeking to build a portfolio and work hands-on with raw documentary footage. We are producing an 8-10-minute, professional-grade documentary that follows one woman with fistula on her journey to treatment. Through this film, we aim to show her healing journey and the powerful, transformative effect that surgery has on women with this condition. You will work with us to craft the story in a way that inspires and moves audiences.
We aim to hire a video editor who will work closely with our team during the post-production phase of this film. As a key collaborator on the project, you need to have experience in documentary filmmaking, should be a creative thinker, and must be adept in executing and troubleshooting technical tasks in Adobe Premiere Pro. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable with women’s health issues.
As an editor on this film, you will work closely with our in-house video producer and other colleagues to bring this film to life. We are looking for someone who has experience editing documentaries for social good and isn’t intimidated by working with hours of footage in a foreign language. You will need to think critically and innovatively about how to optimize the footage on hand so that it tells a cohesive and engaging story. The ideal candidate cares about the ethics of documentary storytelling, has an interest in women’s health issues, and brings both creative and technical skills to film production. You should have advanced-level experience working in Premiere Pro and bring a highly organized approach to your workflow.
Scope of work
We’d like to work with you on a part-time basis for an estimated period of 3 months.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro
- Experience editing a documentary film
- Computer that supports current Adobe system requirements
- Current subscription to Adobe Premiere Pro 15.0 or later
Nice to have, but not required
- Current subscription to Adobe Premiere Pro
- PC-based (but Mac is okay)
- Experience working with footage that is in a foreign language
- Comfortable working with the nuances of women’s health related topics
- An editing workflow that prioritizes backing up your work across multiple drives and in the cloud
- Experience collaborating with another editor remotely
How to apply
- Please send your resume and portfolio (with links to past editing work) to firstname.lastname@example.org