At Fistula Foundation, our people are our greatest resource.
About Fistula Foundation:
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in more than 20 countries across Africa and Asia, as well as through our innovative countrywide programs in Kenya and Zambia. This year, we are on track to provide more than 60,000 life-transforming surgeries since 2009.
We are demonstrating to the world that a new mindset and approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and drastically impact local communities.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $15M reserve. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in more than 680 stories on GreatNonprofits.org. We have 15 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings, along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. And we have earned the recognition of high-profile leaders including Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
If you are a highly motivated, creative, and skilled writer, the Fistula Foundation is your opportunity to play a key role in transforming women’s lives in poor countries around the world. Your challenge will be to build on the Foundation’s solid track record and help the Foundation raise vital revenue that enables us to provide restorative surgery to women. You will contribute to this effort by working with the Foundation team to craft dynamic online and direct mail solicitations, compelling major gift solicitations, foundation grant requests, website copy, and other donor-focused communications. This position will report to the Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives and will work in close collaboration with other members of the team based in San Jose, California. The Foundation is planning to institute a hybrid work model with the expectation that staff will be in the office Tuesday through Thursday.
The new Senior Writer for Marketing Communications will:
- Craft outgoing donor communications including, but not limited to print and electronic newsletters, email, brochures, letters, and social media posts.
- Create engaging and informative content for our website, blog, and social media.
- Develop major gift and foundation grant proposals.
- Draft personalized correspondence for select top donors.
- Draft interim and final grant reports.
- Produce polished memos, reports and written content for use in print and online communications.
- Maintain and grow the Foundation’s database of patient and supporter stories and partner program highlights and identify new ways to utilize this content.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 7+ years as a content marketer or professional writer. Previous experience working at nonprofits and creative agencies strongly preferred.
- Previous experience writing fundraising-related communication, such as giving campaigns across email, web, and personal asks.
- Impeccable writing and editing skills with superior communication abilities.
- Editorial mindset that seeks to understand what audiences consume.
- Basic SEO understanding and experience creating content for the web.
- Proven performer, a quick learner, and will be able to demonstrate a “get it done” work ethic; as a small, lean organization, every member of our team must be willing and able to pitch in with tasks large and small.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to adapt to new conditions, assignments, and deadlines; quick turnaround on key projects is essential for success.
- Ability to listen and to be inquisitive and eager to learn from other Foundation staff about our work and our partners in the field is vital.
- Integrity, humility, optimism, a sense of humor and a strong work ethic.
- Experience with or demonstrated interest in international poverty alleviation and/or the advancement of women is desirable, though not required.
Our Team: Benefits and Culture:
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, gym memberships, a dog-friendly office, supportive office culture, and a generous vacation plan that begins in Year 1. We also offer a competitive salary starting at $90,000 with potential for performance-based bonuses and increases.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your interest and qualifications for this position to:
Susannah Sallin, Search Consultant, email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.