At Fistula Foundation, our people are our greatest resource.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $14M reserve. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in more than 680 stories on GreatNonprofits.org. We have 14 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings, along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. And we have earned the recognition of high-profile leaders including Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
Part-Time/Temporary Development Assistant
About Fistula Foundation: An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. We are in business to end this needless suffering. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in more than 20 countries.
Position Summary: The Development Assistant is an integral member of the Foundation’s fundraising team. They are responsible for working with the Director of Development, Development Associate and Philanthropy Associate to assist with opening mail and processing donations, data entry, manage mailing production, thank you letters, donor research, stewardship projects, and other administrative functions in support of Fistula Foundation’s fundraising team.
This position will be working out of our San Jose office (most of the team is working remotely), is part-time (~20 hours/week) and temporary, ideally working mid-September through mid-January.
- Assist with collecting and opening mail, organizing donations for bank deposits and data entry, and scanning images of checks
- Tracking and entering online and check donations into Raiser’s Edge (donor database)
- Assist with proofreading, mail merges, printing, hand signing, and stuffing thank you letters, stewardship mailings, impact reports, and other small mail projects
- Assist with signing and assembling (folding, stuffing, sealing, and stamping) mass donor communications such funding proposals and newsletters
- Updating donor communication preferences in Raiser’s Edge (donor database)
- Provide additional administrative support to the fundraising team as needed
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proficiency with full MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher) and performing basic research on the Internet
- Extremely detail-oriented with high accuracy and ability to work independently
- Superior ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet deadlines
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Customer service-oriented, with a proven ability to meet needs of customers, clients, or donors
- Demonstrates common sense and flexibility
- Interest in nonprofit, philanthropy, or global health
- Prior administrative experience preferred
- A strong sense of personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Team-player with proven ability to work well with others
- Strong work ethic and ability to be a self-starter
Application Process: Please send a cover letter, your resume and hourly rate expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. No resumes will be considered without a cover letter. No phone calls please.