About Fistula Foundation
We are demonstrating to the world that a new approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and have a profound impact on local communities. An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in 26 countries across Africa and Asia. Since 2009, we have provided more than 65,000 life-transforming surgeries to women in need.
We combine the dynamism of a lean startup with the stability of a mature organization. Charity Navigator has given us a four-star rating for 16 consecutive years; Charity Watch lists us as one of only 34 Top Rated International Organizations; and GuideStar has awarded us Platinum Participant status, the highest designation available to charities. We have also earned the recognition of leaders such as Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
The Financial Manager works with the Deputy Director to promote the overarching financial health of the foundation. As the Financial Manager, you will be responsible for performing day-to-day accounting duties, month-end closing, reconciliation, analysis, compliance with GAAP, payroll, and other special projects. You will work in close collaboration with our Donor Relation and Program Teams in our San Jose, CA headquarters, and will report to the Deputy Director.
The Financial Manager will be responsible for:
Accounting Activities (80%)
- Oversee and maintain all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems for the Foundation, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain chart of accounts along with a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Process vendor invoices in a timely manner, including coding, data entry, and check generation.
- Process wire transfers to partner organizations in Africa and Asia, as requested by Program Officers, and enter payment into our grant management and financial systems.
- Process contributions from various donation sources and enter records into accounting software; work closely with the Donor Relations team to monitor, reconcile and report all donations.
- Perform monthly reconciliation, analysis, and monitoring to identify problems with collections and disbursements, including bank and credit card reconciliations, and A/P and A/R reconciliations.
- Prepare all required documents and account information to assist our 3rd-party CPA in year-end tax audit and Form 990 preparation.
- Provide information needed for various annual filings including 403b requirements and Form 5500 filings.
Issue Form 1099s to vendors and IRS.
- Prepare annual budget working with all departments; track expenses against budget.
- Prepare cash flow forecasts for use in partner grant and operations payout.
- Create financial reports, including customized dashboards with graphs and charts.
- Perform ad hoc accounting projects as needed.
Finance and Accounting Strategy and Policies (10%)
- Play a key role in the overarching efforts to support the Foundation’s strategic goals and ensure its ongoing financial health.
- Ensure accurate preparation, maintenance, and organization of financial records for all internal and external purposes.
- Maintain manuals on Foundation’s accounting and finance processes.
- Develop and implement initiatives to improve accounting procedures and ensure quality standards across the organization.
Human Resources and Administrative Support (10%)
- Process semi-monthly payroll via QuickBooks and record journal entries in accounting software.
- Track staff PTO accruals.
- Provide information as required for state worker’s compensation billing and audit.
- Benefits administration.
- Manage staff compliance with mandated state training.
Qualities We’re Looking For
This position works with multiple stakeholders, including other Foundation staff and consultants. It is important this person has the right blend of analytical and people skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, business, accounting, or related field preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with progressive responsibility in accounting operations with demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning and decision support.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Proficiency with accounting software, MS Office Suite, CRM (Salesforce preferred), and online payroll platforms.
- Attention to detail, and ability to work under multiple deadlines with a collaborative problem-solving approach.
- Proactive project management skills to anticipate needs and short- and long-term challenges and effectively communicate and implement solutions.
- Strong systems orientation with a track record of implementing and enhancing processes; experience with Salesforce a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Handles confidential information with discretion.
- A keen sense of integrity, humility, professionalism, and commitment to creating a positive culture within the organization.
Benefits and Culture
The Fistula Foundation offers a competitive salary that starts at $100,000 to $115,000 with the potential for performance-based bonuses and increases. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, a 403b retirement plan (with a generous employer match), and a generous vacation plan that begins in the first year of employment. Fistula Foundation Headquarters is based in San Jose, California. The Foundation operates with a hybrid work model, and the new Financial Controller will be expected to work on-site three days a week.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your qualifications for this position to: email@example.com
(Please include “Financial Manager” in the subject line.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.