We are demonstrating to the world that a new approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and have a profound impact on local communities. An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in 25 countries across Africa and Asia. Since 2009, we have provided more than 65,000 life-transforming surgeries to women in need.
We combine the dynamism of a lean startup with the stability of a mature organization. Charity Navigator has given us a four-star rating for 16 consecutive years; Charity Watch lists us as one of only 34 Top Rated International Organizations; and GuideStar has awarded us Platinum Participant status, the highest designation available to charities. We have also earned the recognition of leaders such as Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
If you are a tech- and web-savvy professional with experience in digital marketing and an interest in nonprofit technology, then Fistula Foundation offers an ideal setting in which to demonstrate and cultivate your skills. Over many years, we have increased our revenue at a significantly higher rate than the nonprofit sector average, and we are poised to grow further and faster with support from a creative, energetic digital content producer.
In this role, you would work to increase awareness of Fistula Foundation’s mission by overseeing front- and back-end maintenance of our website and of other digital communication platforms. In particular, you would manage and help develop content for our social media channels, support our digital fundraising campaigns, and help create other digital communication materials as needed
The digital content producer will report to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication, and work in close collaboration with members of the communications team.
The Digital Content Producer will:
- Oversee the technical performance and content quality of Fistula Foundation efforts on digital platforms that include a sophisticated website, a third-party email marketing service (Emma), and multiple social media sites.
- Maintain the Fistula Foundation website, and collaborate with an external development partner to improve its underlying technology, as well as the web user experience.
- Evaluate and work to optimize the donor experience and audience reach of the Fistula Foundation website and other digital properties.
- Maintain a social media calendar to plan for and execute opportunities for sharing stories, news updates, and other content with supporters.
- Manage and help develop social media content that communicates the work and achievements of our partners in the field.
- Monitor daily news coverage of maternal global health and identify opportunities to leverage this coverage via social media channels.
- Design photo tiles, infographics, and other digital images to help communicate our work and our partners’ work visually to supporters.
- Collaborate with colleagues across marketing, communications, and donor relations to develop and improve efforts to reach and retain donors.
- Provide additional technology support to the Fistula Foundation team as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position will have some (but not necessarily all) of the following:
- Experience (two years or more) in a web content management, digital marketing, or related role. Experience in the nonprofit sector is preferred but not required.
- A rigorous approach to quality assurance in managing digital platforms at both a technical and an editorial level.
- A keen sense of content strategy, a detail-oriented eye for effective page design, and a knack for web- and email-based visual storytelling.
- Experience in web development and in working with an external web developer (by preparing and tracking support tickets, and the like).
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and other tools for monitoring the performance and reach of web operations.
- Familiarity with using a web CMS (content management system) platform, such as WordPress; an email-marketing platform, such as Emma or MailChimp; and social media management tools, such Sprout Social, Tweetdeck, or Hootsuite.
- Familiarity with using Adobe Creative Suite applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) and other graphic tools (such as Canva) to develop and edit digital images for web, social media, or other use cases.
- Strong writing and general communication skills.
- Curiosity about the workings of a successful nonprofit organization and an interest in pursuing opportunities to help it grow.
- A collaborative outlook and an eagerness to learn from colleagues; a capacity for adapting quickly to new conditions, new assignments, and new deadlines; and a willingness to pitch in with tasks large and small.
- A strong interest in advancing a cause related to women’s health, international development, or global poverty alleviation.
Benefits and Culture
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, a 403b retirement plan (with a generous employer match), a subsidy for gym membership, and a generous vacation plan that begins in the first year of employment. We also offer a competitive salary that starts at $70,000-80,000, with the potential for performance-based bonuses and increases. This position is based in San Jose, California. In summer 2022, the Foundation will institute a hybrid work model that allows staff members to work remotely up to two days per week. The new Digital Producer will be expected to work on-site three days per week.
Our team prioritizes gratitude initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your qualifications for this position to:
(Please include “Digital Content Producer” in the subject line.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.