We are demonstrating to the world that a new approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and have a profound impact on local communities. An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in 25 countries across Africa and Asia. Since 2009, we have provided more than 65,000 life-transforming surgeries to women in need.
We combine the dynamism of a lean startup with the stability of a mature organization. Charity Navigator has given us a four-star rating for 16 consecutive years; Charity Watch lists us as one of only 34 Top Rated International Organizations; and GuideStar has awarded us Platinum Participant status, the highest designation available to charities. We have also earned the recognition of leaders such as Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
If you are an experienced direct-mail professional or an expert in managing complex print production efforts, then Fistula Foundation offers a chance to serve in a pivotally important position that will enable us to maintain and expand our successful fundraising operation. Over many years, we have increased our revenue at a significantly higher rate than the nonprofit sector average, in large part because we consistently and efficiently present donors with high-quality, strategically calibrated fundraising appeals and with other print communications (including a quarterly newsletter). You would contribute to this effort by planning and executing all elements of each mailing—from developing schedules and preparing recipient lists, to interacting with our print vendor and ensuring timely completion of each print project. You would also oversee the processing of all gifts, the management of our donor database, and the in-house mailing of thank-you messages and other recurring communications with donors.
This position will report to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication, and will supervise two staff members who manage donations and donor data.
The new Director of Fundraising Operations will:
- Manage scheduling and production of 10-plus major print mailing projects per year, along with occasional and minor print projects.
- Support project management for 6 annual fundraising campaigns and for other donor outreach efforts (including 4 newsletters per year and an annual report).
- Oversee management of a large and growing donor database, and prepare. recipient lists both for all print mailings and for online messaging to donors.
- Generate and help analyze reports on fundraising activity across multiple campaigns and multiple giving levels.
- Lead the transition from legacy use a Raiser’s Edge donor database to adoption of a Salesforce database.
- Direct the collection and tracking of all donations, which come in multiple forms (including credit card payments, checks, stock gifts, and cryptocurrency) and through multiple channels (including online, mail, and wire transfer).
- Oversee other routine fundraising tasks, such as mailing thank-you notes, tax receipts, and annual statements to donors.
- Supervise 2 staff members who manage the donor database, process donations, and support other fundraising operations.
- Enlist and manage volunteer or temporary staffing support to assist with print mailings and other administrative tasks.
- Collaborate with colleagues in marketing, donor relations, and communication roles to develop and improve efforts to reach and retain donors.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- At least 5 years of experience as direct-mail professional. Experience in the nonprofit sector is preferred. Experience in print production at a direct-mail or publishing organization is required.
- A proven ability to manage either a Raiser’s Edge donor database or a Salesforce customer base (or, ideally, both), coupled with a willingness to fill knowledge gaps in managing both platforms.
- Facility with managing and analyzing data, with an emphasis on using and understanding donor or customer behavior data.
- Deep project management skills, including an ability to anticipate, plan for, adjust to, and communicate about the multiple inputs and outputs that make up a project.
- Experience in supervising staff members and oversight of recurring processes, such as mail handling, data entry, and database administration.
- A keen operations mindset that that focuses on maximizing efficiency, meeting project timetables, and supporting leaders’ strategic objectives.
- A collaborative outlook and an eagerness to learn from colleagues; a capacity for adapting quickly to new conditions, new assignments, and new deadlines; and a willingness to pitch in with tasks large and small.
- A strong interest in advancing a cause related to women’s health, international development, or global poverty alleviation.
Benefits and Culture
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, a 403b retirement plan (with a generous employer match), a subsidy for gym membership, a dog-friendly office, and a generous vacation plan that begins in the first year of employment. We also offer a competitive salary that starts at $110,000–$120,000, with the potential for performance-based bonuses and increases.
This position is based in San Jose, California. In summer 2022, the Foundation will institute a hybrid work model that allows staff members to work remotely up to two days per week. The new Director of Fundraising Operations will be expected to work on-site three days per week.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your qualifications for this position to:
(Please include “director of fundraising operations” in the subject line.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.