We are demonstrating to the world that a new approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and have a profound impact on local communities. An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in 25 countries across Africa and Asia. Since 2009, we have provided more than 65,000 life-transforming surgeries to women in need.
We combine the dynamism of a lean startup with the stability of a mature organization. Charity Navigator has given us a four-star rating for 16 consecutive years; Charity Watch lists us as one of only 34 Top Rated International Organizations; and GuideStar has awarded us Platinum Participant status, the highest designation available to charities. We have also earned the recognition of leaders such as Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
If you are a skilled professional with experience in a customer (or donor) service role, and with an interest in supporting a powerful nonprofit mission, then Fistula Foundation offers a chance to excel as the frontline point of contact with our amazing base of donors. Over many years, we have increased our revenue at a significantly higher rate than the nonprofit sector average, and our unwavering commitment to engaging with donors and meeting their needs has been vital to our success in this area. In this role, you would interact daily with donors who reach us via email or phone, and you would reach out to donors via email, phone, or letter to convey our gratitude to them. You would also manage special programs that serve new donors, monthly donors, and donors who raise funds on our behalf.
In this position, you would report to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication, and work as part of a marketing and donor relations team.
The new Donor Relations Associate will:
- Assume primary responsibility for fielding and replying to incoming donor service inquiries that come via phone, email, or post.
- Manage a process of sending thank-you notes and welcome material to new donors.
- Manage a monthly donor program by addressing monthly donors’ needs and ensuring that their donor information is up to date.
- Manage a peer-fundraising program by providing support to donors who conduct special fundraising efforts.
- Process nonstandard donations (including stock gifts, bequests, and the like) and provide support to donors who make such gifts.
- Make proactive thank-you calls to selected donors. (Note: This role does not involve making solicitation calls to donors or prospective donors.)
- Collaborate with the communications team to identify and develop inspiring stories about individual donors.
- Assist with other fundraising efforts (including routine donation processing and donor outreach projects) as needed.
- Collaborate with colleagues in marketing, fundraising operations, and communication roles to develop and improve efforts to reach and retain donors.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Some experience in a role that involved direct, ongoing interaction with donors, customers, constituents, or other stakeholders. Experience in the nonprofit sector is preferred but not required.
- A capacity for, and an interest in, serving as the frontline contact between Fistula Foundation and one of its key stakeholder groups.
- A genuine interest in networking with people and learning their story; an outgoing, personable approach to engaging with people; and comfort with speaking to people on the phone.
- Experience in using a CRM (customer relationship management) platform—such as Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce—to enter, use, and revise customer or donor data.
- A detail-oriented commitment to tracking and updating a wide array of information about Fistula Foundation donors.
- An ability to multitask between duties such as answering an incoming phone call, replying to an incoming email, and preparing a new-donor thank-you letter.
- Curiosity about the workings of a successful nonprofit organization and an interest in pursuing opportunities to help it grow.
- A collaborative outlook and an eagerness to learn from colleagues; a capacity for adapting quickly to new conditions, new assignments, and new deadlines; and a willingness to pitch in with tasks large and small.
- A strong interest in advancing a cause related to women’s health, international development, or global poverty alleviation.
Benefits and Culture
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, a 403b retirement plan (with a generous employer match), a subsidy for gym membership, a dog-friendly office, and a generous vacation plan that begins in the first year of employment. We also offer a competitive salary that starts at $50,000–$60,000, with the potential for performance-based bonuses and increases.
This position is based in San Jose, California. In summer 2022, the Foundation will institute a hybrid work model that allows staff members to work remotely up to two days per week. The new Donor Relations Associate will be expected to work on-site three days per week.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your qualifications for this position to:
(Please include “donor relations associate” in the subject line.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.