We are demonstrating to the world that a new approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and have a profound impact on local communities. An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in 25 countries across Africa and Asia. Since 2009, we have provided more than 65,000 life-transforming surgeries to women in need.
We combine the dynamism of a lean startup with the stability of a mature organization. Charity Navigator has given us a four-star rating for 16 consecutive years; Charity Watch lists us as one of only 34 Top Rated International Organizations; and GuideStar has awarded us Platinum Participant status, the highest designation available to charities. We have also earned the recognition of leaders such as Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
If you are a rising professional with solid communication skills, and with an interest in supporting a powerful nonprofit mission, then Fistula Foundation offers a chance to excel in a role that combines several mission-critical responsibilities. Over many years, we have increased our revenue at a higher rate than the nonprofit sector average, and our commitment to engaging with donors both directly and through external communication channels has been vital to our success in this area. As Marketing and Communication Associate, you would support our marketing and communication work by managing or assisting multiple print and digital projects. You would also serve as the frontline point of contact with our amazing base of donors.
In this role, you would report to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication, and work with colleagues on the communication and donor relations teams
The Marketing and Communication Associate will:
- Serve as a liaison between the communication and donor relations teams, and manage agendas for team meetings.
- Assume primary responsibility for fielding and replying to donor service inquiries that come via phone, email, or post.
- Make thank-you calls to selected donors. (Note: This role does not involve making solicitation calls to donors or prospective donors.)
- Track and update production timelines for communication and donor relations projects.
- Collaborate with communication team colleagues in posting and updating website, social media, and email marketing content.
- Learn how to use web, email marketing, and other software platforms used by Fistula Foundation to build and track donor relationships.
- Collaborate with the communications team to identify and develop inspiring stories about individual donors.
- Process routine and nonstandard donations (including stock gifts, bequests, and the like) and provide support to donors who make such gifts.
- Assist with donor outreach projects and other fundraising efforts.
- Prepare material and support logistics for board meetings and staff meetings.
- Collaborate with colleagues in marketing, fundraising operations, and communication roles to develop and improve efforts to reach and retain donors.
The ideal candidate for this position will have some (but not necessarily all) of the following:
- A strong interest in advancing a cause related to women’s health, international development, or global poverty alleviation.
- Experience in a role that involved personal interaction with donors, customers, or other stakeholders.
- A genuine interest in networking with people and learning their story; an outgoing, personable approach to engaging with people; and comfort with speaking to people on the phone.
- A detail-oriented ability to enter, update, and manage digital content and data.
- Familiarity with Google Suite tools (such as Google Analytics, Workplace, Docs), social media tools (such as Sprout and TweetDeck), a content management system (CMS) such as WordPress, and email marking platform such as Emma or MailChimp, and/or a customer relationship management (CRM) platform such as Salesforce.
- An ability to multitask between duties such as answering an incoming phone call, replying to an incoming email, and preparing a new-donor thank-you letter.
- Curiosity about the workings of a successful nonprofit organization and an interest in pursuing opportunities to help it grow.
- A collaborative outlook and an eagerness to learn from colleagues; a capacity for adapting quickly to new conditions, new assignments, and new deadlines; and a willingness to pitch in with tasks large and small.
Benefits and Culture
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, a 403b retirement plan (with a generous employer match), a subsidy for gym membership, and a generous vacation plan that begins in the first year of employment. We also offer a competitive salary that starts at $50,000–$60,000, with the potential for performance-based bonuses and increases.
This position is based in San Jose, California. In summer 2022, the Foundation will institute a hybrid work model that allows staff members to work remotely up to two days per week. The new Donor Relations Associate will be expected to work on-site three days per week.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your qualifications for this position to:
(Please include “marketing/communication associate” in the subject line.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.